[Foundation-l] Resolution:Developing Scenarios for future of fundraising

Alec Meta alecmeta at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:14:25 UTC 2012

> Why does the Board of Trustees think that WMF should raise the «maximum
> possible amount of money»?
> Why not ask for what is needed and nothing more?

Because we don't expect to be JUST Wikipedia forever.   We have a lot
of innovation ahead of us.  If we stand still, we'll be overtaken.

With more funding, we can responsibly begin to expand beyond the
confines of Wikipedia-as-we-currently-know-it.

If we collected only what we need to stay afloat, then all we'll do is
stay afloat.    I hope in future we'll expand and see a corresponding
increase in donations.