[Foundation-l] Resolution:Developing Scenarios for future of fundraising

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 13:07:15 UTC 2012

On 18 January 2012 11:48, Pronoein <pronoein at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 18/01/2012 05:25, Ting Chen a écrit :
>> * Minimal cost and minimal disruption. All Wikimedia fundraising
>> activities must aim to raise the maximum possible amount of money from
>> donors while minimizing administrative costs as much as possible (in
>> order to reserve the largest amount of money possible for programmatic
>> activity), while causing minimal disruption and annoyance for users of
>> the projects.
>
> Why does the Board of Trustees think that WMF should raise the «maximum
> possible amount of money»?
> Why not ask for what is needed and nothing more?

It's not a particularly well worded principle. I would go with something like:

"All Wikimedia fundraising activities must aim to balance the work we
can do towards our goals with the administrative costs and the
disruption and annoyance to users of the projects."

There isn't a single well-defined number that is the amount we "need".
We should keep raising more until we get to the point where the harm
from raising an extra $100 is more than the good we can do by spending
that $100.