[Foundation-l] Bosnia's Top Cultural Institutions Shutting Down

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 21:09:33 UTC 2012

Thanks Kevin :) Yes, I am a professional librarian who follows such
things (and listens to NPR!) and I somehow missed this story. I don't
think it is a well known or reported on event. Thank you for bringing
it to everyone's attention, it sounds like a tragedy. Following David,
if anyone has suggested actions to take that would be great.

-- phoebe

On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 12:58 PM, Kevin Gorman <kgorman at gmail.com> wrote:
> The WMF isn't telepathic, at least to the best of my knowledge.  Before you
> sent this did you have any reason to believe that the WMF was already aware
> of the situation and its significance?  If not - this email chain probably
> would have been more likely to be productive if your first email was
> just "This is kind of a big deal and I don't see any blog post up about it
> yet, can I write one?"  I've always found that all other things being
> equal, people are much more likely to want to assist me if I'm not already
> assuming that their actions are malicious.
>
> ----
> Kevin Gorman
> User:Kgorman-ucb
>
> On Sat, Jan 7, 2012 at 5:01 AM, emijrp <emijrp at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all;
>>
>> Bosnia's top cultural institutions[1] (National Museum, Historical Museum,
>> National Gallery) and the National Library which was burnt in 1992, are
>> closing their doors for funding disputes.
>>
>> This is a disaster for the spreading of human knowledge, and I don't see
>> any blog post in the Wikimedia blog. Are you so worried and biased with the
>> US bills?
>>
>> Imagine the WMF reaction if Library of Congress closes.
>>
>> Regards,
>> emijrp
>>
>> [1] http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=144755322

<at> gmail.com *