[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Liam Wyatt liamwyatt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:59:31 UTC 2011

On 28 November 2011 11:03, Andre Engels <andreengels at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:58 AM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > At this point you appear to be stretching to keep a flame war going.
>
> Stretching? It seemed like a valid chain of reasoning to me. But if
> you don't agree, please give your line of reasoning as to how your
> statement was a refutation of, or even just a sensible reaction to, my
> statement.
> --

Permit me to interrupt your debate here...
Perhaps we could go back to the topic of the thread itself rather than the
meta-argument of whose reasoning is a sensible reaction to which statement?

Erik M's email just above has some very interesting points, both about the
WMF's official stance (category-based system is dead; local communities *
already* have different approaches; somehow providing tools to reversibly
collapse images still happening), as well has his personal opinion
(official framework for sharable filter lists takes us too close to
censors; existing data does not give us good info on different group's
needs; we should providing good advice to readers about personalising their
web-experience; building several cheap prototypes is a good step from
here). [forgive me if I'm losing some nuance in making this summary]

Perhaps we could focus on those practical points - preferably on-wiki -
rather than having endless debates about what different people did/didn't
mean to say or getting into abstract ideological discussions.

-Liam