[Foundation-l] Amicus Brief Filed in Golan v. Holder: Fighting for the Public Domain

Ryan Kaldari rkaldari at wikimedia.org
Thu Jun 23 19:23:10 UTC 2011

Europe is already in line. Where the U.S. is exercising its muscle on IP
issues is mainly Latin America (where many countries like Brazil,
Belize, and Jamaica still have reasonable IP laws). The U.S. commonly
pressures Latin American countries on IP issues when negotiating trade
agreements.

Obviously we have a lot of work to do to reform U.S. copyright law (rule
of the shorter term, freedom of panorama, etc.), but it would be nice if
we don't actually shrink our public domain in the meantime.

Ryan Kaldari