[Foundation-l] Smurfs Movie is infringing on wikipedia copyright

MZMcBride z at mzmcbride.com
Sat Dec 31 17:03:18 UTC 2011

Jay Walsh wrote:
> Some notes on this whole process: in the coming year the legal/trademark
> team hopes to make the application system much simpler, and also we expect
> to start publishing a public list of those orgs who have permission to
> reuse the marks in a public setting.  Thereby minimizing the surprise
> factor to someone who just sees our mark being used in a film.  We're also
> moving away from this payment system (although not necessarily completely)
> and instead looking to increase the number of permitted reusers, but also
> to ensure clearly labeled permissions and reuse, and particularly
> important, to clearly label appropriate use of CC works.

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but a bit more background (as I
remember it): when Mike Godwin was still around, there was some preliminary
work on a MediaWiki extension called TradeTrack that would help Wikimedia
and outsiders track trademark usage. I think it fell by the wayside when
Mike left the Wikimedia Foundation and any work on it has mostly stopped. A
bit more info here: <https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:TradeTrack>.

MZMcBride