[Foundation-l] Software idea: a "Wikipedia Explorer" that lets you browse Wikipedia and more

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 21:10:30 UTC 2011

On 27 December 2011 21:01, Yao Ziyuan <yaoziyuan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Remember there was MSN Explorer (desktop software) that let you browse MSN
> and use MSN services such as Hotmail?
>
> Remember Google Earth (desktop software) that lets you browse the Earth and
> provides additional services based on the Earth?
>
> We can also make a "Wikipedia Explorer" (desktop software) that lets you
> browse Wikipedia AND provides an added layer that enables users to:
>
> * Chat/discuss with other users interested in the same topic (Wikipedia
> article).
> * Announce/find resources related to a topic (products, books, jobs,
> anything).
> * More.
>
> I intend to see such a "Wikipedia Explorer" developed, or personally
> develop it. Any comments?

Advertising products and jobs doesn't sound like something the
Wikimedia movement would do, but Wikipedia is under a free license,
which means anyone that wants to make such software is welcome to do
so (although they can't use "Wikipedia" in the name without the
Wikimedia Foundation's permission, which might not be forthcoming in
this case due to the apparent commercial aspect).