[Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Thu Dec 15 03:30:15 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 04:04:36AM +0000, Thomas Dalton wrote:
> On Dec 15, 2011 3:20 AM, "Kim Bruning" <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > That, and remember that it is preferable to stage a protest BEFORE
> passage of
> > the bill. :-P
>
> I'm not sure about that. If we strike before they pass the bill then we are
> assuming they will pass it. Shouldn't we give them a chance to do the right
> thing? If we think striking is a good idea (and it certainly looks like we
> do) then I would rather we threaten to strike and only actually do it if
> they do pass the bill.

Same kind of thing as (external) people protesting us going to Israel I think. By the time they protested,
we couldn't change our venue if we wanted to.

"Didn't they know we can't change venue at the last minute? They should have voiced their
objections EARLIER!"

But I'll leave it up to the US politics experts to figure out the best timing. ;-)

Maybe we can do something else earlier? (probably best to continue this onwiki :-)

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning