[Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 04:04:36 UTC 2011

On Dec 15, 2011 3:20 AM, "Kim Bruning" <kim at bruning.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> That, and remember that it is preferable to stage a protest BEFORE
passage of
> the bill. :-P

I'm not sure about that. If we strike before they pass the bill then we are
assuming they will pass it. Shouldn't we give them a chance to do the right
thing? If we think striking is a good idea (and it certainly looks like we
do) then I would rather we threaten to strike and only actually do it if
they do pass the bill.

A strike should be a last resort. Until that final vote on the bill, we
won't know if the various other things people have been trying have worked,
so we don't know if the last resort is needed.

Of course, the threat still needs to be made before that final vote, so we
do need to get moving on making a final decision.