[Foundation-l] How SOPA will hurt the free web and Wikipedia

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Wed Dec 14 22:42:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 10:59:13PM +0000, Fae wrote:
> > Strictly speaking, the straw poll there is sufficient, unless people bring
> > up true blockers.
> >
> > sincerely,
> > ? ? ? ?Kim Bruning
>
> I contributed to the straw poll on the understanding given at the top
> of the straw poll:
> "This is merely a straw poll to indicate overall interest. If this
> poll is firmly 'opposed' then I'll know that now. But even if this
> poll is firmly in 'support' we'd obviously go through a much longer
> process to get some kind of consensus around parameters, triggers, and
> timing."
>
> I would strongly object and encourage others to strike their opinions
> if the straw poll were retrospectively and arbitrarily misused as a
> statement of consensus for something else.

It can be currently and non-arbitrarily used to infer that most people
are in favor of some sort of contra-SOPA action. The exact form of the
action is (according to this) yet to be determined.

Seeing the current state of the poll, working on such details is
probably a good idea right now. We should also check to see if
there are blockers or ancillary points listed that need to be addressed.

If this is not what you intended, then
* reread [[WP:POLL]], [[WP:CONSENSUS]], [[WP:NOT#Community]]
* strike your position, if it's still not what you intended.
* alternately, restate your position to include relevant/adequate
  provisions.

OTOH, I think that it is pretty close to your intent that we indeed
proceed, is it not?

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning

[
Strictly, politically, given only current information:

if one were to BOLDly set the main page to a big black
anti-SOPA-message; one would probably get away with it and get a
barnstar-or-two besides. This due to getting -perhaps not 80%- but
definitely a majority of statements in ones favor at the inevitable
RFC.

Good Old Ed Poor survived to tell a similar tale with much less
upfront support. He would definitely have been able to *fully*
pull off his move -and possibly ensure editor retention- had he had an
80%-in-favor-poll upfront.oO(tempting thought)
]