[Foundation-l] The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug

Andrew Gray andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk
Mon Dec 12 20:47:36 UTC 2011

On 12 December 2011 19:22, Möller, Carsten <c.moeller at wmco.de> wrote:

>> > It's been a requested feature for a while, Someone finally
>> > got around to writing it
>
> Who has asked for such a silly feature?
> Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.

I've certainly uploaded screwily-rotated files before; it's fairly
common, especially with some Windows software, for an image to be
shown to the user as rotated while retaining its "set" rotation in a
way that's not visible until it's sent somewhere.

I agree applying it to old images was a bit of an odd thing to do (if
they were visibly wrong, someone usually went to the effort of
re-uploading them), but that doesn't mean applying it to later ones
was somehow a stupid thing to do.

As to how common it might be in general... testing on Commons is
tricky, but I've spent a few minutes sampling the Flickr live upload
feed. Over about 20 pages of 20 images each, I found eight
wrongly-rotated shots, or eight in 400 ~~ 2%. It's not Commons, of
course, but it is indicative.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk