[Foundation-l] The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug

Strainu strainu10 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 20:39:40 UTC 2011

2011/12/12 Möller, Carsten <c.moeller at wmco.de>:

>> > It's been a requested feature for a while, Someone finally
>> > got around to writing it
>
> Who has asked for such a silly feature?

Many people indeed. I wanted that since I had my first camera with
rotation exif data.

> Every uploader sees the image he/she is uploading and has made the necessary rotation beforehand.

Not necessarely. An example is the Flickr pictures from "pro"
accounts. Many such users upload their pictures in bulk, but they only
rotate them after upload. This leaves the small, medium and large
previews correctly rotated, but the original (which is uploaded on
commons) remains non-rotated.

>> i.e., was there strong reason to apply it to past images, not
>> just new ones?
>
> Don't ask, you need no reason if you work directly with the WMF.

No, there wasn't. But hey, there is no software without bugs and no
people that never made mistakes.

Strainu