[Foundation-l] The Mediawiki 1.18 image rotation bug on Commons and on all Wikimedia projects

Teofilo teofilowiki at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 17:14:24 UTC 2011

I am unable to find precise answers to your questions. But the scope
of the phenomenon can be somehow understood with the following data
which hint that today, the demand for rotation service has increased
about 56-fold compared to June 2011. But I am unable to say how long
the present high demand will last. And we must think about the unused
pictures or pictures used on small projects which may require rotation
but which people may be not be going to find so soon. Let alone the
cases when readers find that something is wrong but are too shy to say
it.

As of 24-30 June (7 days) Rotatebot was requested to rotate about 250
files in 7 days (1)

As of now, Rotatebot is handling about 250 files in 3 hours (2) (which
means (24/3)*7*250 = 56*250 in 7 days)

(1) http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&offset=20110701000000&limit=500&contribs=user&target=Rotatebot
(2) http://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:Contributions&limit=500&contribs=user&target=Rotatebot