[Foundation-l] Regarding Berkman/Sciences Po study

Kim Bruning kim at bruning.xs4all.nl
Sun Dec 11 19:24:59 UTC 2011

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:45:26PM +0400, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:
> Do you actually realize that RCom is not a single person
Of course. That's why it's a good idea to assign a liason (which is a role
done by a person). The other solution is to allow rcom members to speak and
think autonomously, like we expect from wikipedians. :-)

> and that there
> is no way we can issue an official statement in 24 hours?
We don't need an official statement. We need people on the ground who
communicate, answer questions and make decisions. To summarise:  you need
people to negotiate consensus.

> I am not sure we need to issue anything as a body anyway
I'll help you with this one; I am absolutely certain: You do not.

>  but if we need it is absolutely unrealistic to do in 24 hours, since most
>  of us have not been involved since June (when we last approved the survey).
Good for you. Would you happen to know when _en.wikipedia_ approved the survey?
;-)

>  We do not have any magic means of communication
I have such magic in my pocket. It's my appointment diary.

> that would get every RCom member
We really need only 1 or 2, who are fully briefed on what Rcom is doing, and
only at those times when the Rcom is doing things.

> online immediately
It's very easy to be online "immediately" when you are doing a pre-planned
action, and therefore know the times to be online well in advance.

> and produce a statement
No statement is necessary, per se.

> and answer all the questions.
That's the one good idea here. Also, the members you have online must be authorised to
make decisions. You are required to either follow policy and/or reach
consensus, and this often requires negotiation.

By analogy: imagine you walk into a bank office and start working on their
computers. No one knows who you are, no one knows what you are doing, and you
have no contract, contact info of the local manager, or ID on you.
What's going to happen?

sincerely,
	Kim Bruning