[Foundation-l] Image filter brainstorming: Personal filter lists

Jussi-Ville Heiskanen cimonavaro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 12:55:29 UTC 2011

.
> Thankfully the Foundation seems to have taken that message on board and
> though we can expect to continue to have pro-filter people joining the
> debate and trying to revive that type of proposal, I'm pretty sure it is
> dead in the water.

Not according to their meeting minutes. It does seem there are people still
flailing around with a horse-whip, thinking that if they just whip the dead
horse hard enough, it will rise up and be a useful steed.

> I'm not sure that we have a consensus for or against the principle of
> censorship, or whether the community as a whole regards a private personal
> filter as censorship.

This is one of those canards that just keep popping up, despite having been
comprehensively debunked time and again. We have always had a consensus
against censorship, and Jimbo even used to enforce it through bans and blocks.

> On the one hand at least one Wikimedian is asserting that the
> community is opposed to censorship in principle, and that even a private
> personal filter would be censorship. On the other hand the board still
> wants the image filter to be usable for IPs and not just logged in users -
> despite the fact that we have no way to implement an IP level system
> without allowing some people to censor other people's Wikimedia viewing.

If you mean me, I am not asserting, I am reminding that this issue has been
visited and revisited more times than anybody can be bothered to count. And
the consensus has always been the same. The definition of insanity is trying
the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.