[Foundation-l] Expertise and Wikipedia redux

Peter Damian peter.damian at btinternet.com
Sat Oct 16 17:47:36 UTC 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nikola Smolenski" <smolensk at eunet.rs>
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2010 6:37 PM
Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] Expertise and Wikipedia redux

> I don't see  how can you call it plagiarism when at the bottom of the
> article it is clearly written: "This article incorporates text ..."

Unfortunately we don't have a better word to describe the effortless and
thoughtless copying of something from something else, so I will use that
word.  Note 'incorporates' suggests that only parts of the material have
been, er, 'copied and pasted'.  This is wholesale 'plunder'.  The etymology
of 'plagiarise' is 'kidnap'.  Perhaps I should have said the articles were
'kidnapped'.

>>Wikipedia is not entirely relying on century-old sources, however this
>>still remains an interesting question.

I will link again to my earlier post about the Ockham article
http://ocham.blogspot.com/2010/06/william-of-ockham.html

In my area, it's all like this.  More later (Scotus!!!).