[Foundation-l] More on Wikimedia strategic planning

phoebe ayers phoebe.wiki at gmail.com
Fri May 1 06:18:17 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:08 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:24 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes.  Considering the stakes and our capacity for history, this seems
>>> to me appropriate and possible.
>>
>> It is impossible to predict what humanity will be like in 300 years,
>> if it even still exists, so it is completely impossible to predict
>> what Wikimedia will be like or what challenges it will need to face.
>
> Can we perhaps split the difference between you two and say: 30 years?
> There are all sorts of issues that arise on this time span that are
> also useful to consider on much shorter and much longer scales.

Besides, this is a (slightly long) generation, which makes a useful
human-scaled measure to think in. I really want my kids, at some
point, to be able to say in exasperation, "Mom, this isn't *your*
Wikipedia anymore!" Or better yet: "Grandma, we are sick and tired of
hearing how you had to write your own markup, both ways in the snow!
We edit through the power of our minds now, OK?! Sheesh!"

-- phoebe

<at> gmail.com *