[Foundation-l] GFDL-only + OTRS

Petr Kadlec petr.kadlec at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 15:45:32 UTC 2009

2009/6/27 Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen na gmail.com>:
> It is not obvious because a viral license assumes that all other content
> will be contiminated with the same license. Hence when GFDL only is
> incompatlible with our projects this material cannot be used in our
> projects. This defeats the objective of Commons.

Mere being on the same server (i.e. on Commons) does not trigger the
virality of the license. And since we have been combining GFDL text
with CC-BY-SA-only pictures (et al.) in our projects for many years, I
don’t think we should now hardly switch to strong-copyleft beliefs and
ban all GFDL.

> This should be obvious and hence it does follow that it is correct to
> indicate that GFDL only material is not suitable.

GFDL is a free culture license, copyleft (license virality) is a
completely acceptable condition for Commons.

-- [[cs:User:Mormegil | Petr Kadlec]]