[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - A shot for a resolution

Yaroslav M. Blanter putevod at mccme.ru
Fri Mar 14 14:42:47 UTC 2008

>>  But
>>  if it all goes to unrestricted general vote - none of these projects is
>>  going to be represented. Then only stewards/active members of big
>> projects
>>  have a chance to be elected, and we are back to the countless
>> lamentations
>>  about insufficient representation of the community.
>
> I'm not sure that's true. It depends on the voting system, but I
> expect there's a way we can get smaller projects represented through a
> general vote. Single Transferable Vote (or a variation of it) might
> work. While a candidate from a small project may not stand much of a
> chance, you'll still get a candidate from a similar project selected
> by a natural grouping of votes (rather than forcing certain projects
> together along arbitrary boundaries). If everyone from a group of
> small projects votes for someone from their project as first choice
> and people from the other projects in the group (this isn't a fixed
> group, just a naturally occurring collection of like minded voters) as
> their other choices, one of the candidates from that group is likely
> to get a seat.

This is also an option, but I would not call this an "unrestricted vote"
(admittedly, I am not so good in the electroral English terminology). What
I meant is that if we have elections similar to the Board elections, the
candidates getting the top 20 or 100 or whatever votes are extremely
unlikely to come from the smaller projects (unless they are stewards or
they are also actively involved in one of the bigger projects).

Cheers,
Yaroslav