[Foundation-l] Muhammad

A N aslanir at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 17:36:48 UTC 2008

a typical Mohammad picture in islamic litruture would look like this
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Siyer-i_Nebi_151b.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Siyer-i_Nebi_298a.jpg

you can find pictures like this but they are rare:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mohammed_kaaba_1315.jpg
this was clearly a Mohammed picture because it describes a well known story.

one picture i am not sure if it is Mohammed or Ali is this one
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Maome.jpg
especially because its an earlier picture and its very unusual for a more
recent islamic artist to paint Mohammads face in detail.  I can make an
inquiry to one of my university professors that knows a great deal about
Islamic art and literature and get his opinion about this picture.
I wish it had some surrounding text as most of Islamic painting do. that
would have helped a lot.

As far as i know a great deal of Islamic art came from Iran and Ottoman
empire. Somehow Iranian religious authorities did not strongly object to
Mohammed pictures. Even now they don't object to an old Mohammed picture
unless its something like :
http://www.suprmchaos.com/bologna-fresco_062602.jpg

when the picture is drawn by Muslims it usually does not raise any
objection. however now, one can not paint a picture of Mohammed no matter
how good it looks. I know this does not make sense at all but that is how it
is.

Aslan