[Foundation-l] Concern for the safety of Wikimedians at Wikimania in Alex...

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 15:26:18 UTC 2008

On 04/03/2008, Dan Rosenthal <swatjester at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oldak,
>
> I have to disagree with part. I do think there have been signs that
> the Foundation recognizes there are issues. I don't think they're
> doing enough about it, but that's very obviously my selfish opinion
> vs. what the foundation feels is how far they need to go. I understand
> that "what I want", i.e., what I believe the best solution to be
> (namely, postponing Wikimania by a few months and moving it to South
> Africa instead), is very unlikely to happen.  That being said, the
> foundation has recognized there are issues. Sue is investigating the
> security issues, Florence has responded to the complaints we've
> brought up by presenting them at the board meeting. There's not a
> whole lot more we can ask for, at least, not until Sue's report comes
> back. We have to be realistic about what the ED and the board have the
> power to actually do about our concerns. Basically, while it's not as
> much as I personally would like, I think the foundation has done as
> much as they can. It's selfish to then ask for more. (I'm not saying
> that as a criticism of anyone at all,  nor accusing anyone of being
> selfish, rather, as a thought process as to how I feel and what I
> think about the steps the foundation has taken when I send these
> emails).

Perhaps you are right, there has been a response (or there is one in
the process). Speaking for myself, I think the response has been
inadequate in the months leading up until this week. I thank Anthere
for bringing these issues up at the meeting. We'll have to wait and
see how the board responds and what the report says.

Mark and Dan, if I used your names out of turn, accept my apologies. I
used your names because you have both been active in the discussions
(with a bunch of other people) and I had interpreted non-satisfaction
(where there may now be satisfaction).

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)