[Foundation-l] Voting suffrage criteria (established members should be able to vote)

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 16:07:15 UTC 2008

There are a couple of problems with doing it that way.

1) Global accounts go inactive in some cases because a user has begun using
a different account. It wouldn't be difficult, in that case, to acquire over
time multiple eligible accounts if there is no "recent edits" requirement.

2) As far as I know there is no centralised edit list or counter for unified
accounts. This could be remedied technologically, but I think we'd have to
establish a value for that ahead of time.

3) On the issue of inactivity negating standing... The problem is that
Wikimedia is a self-selecting community, and membership in the community is
based on continuing participation. If you go inactive you stop performing
the activity that made you part of the community to begin with. If someone
has been inactive for a year, two years, can we expect them to be in touch
with community values? Do we regard them, still, as "members" of the
community in which they have not recently participated? The "residence"
requirement in this sense is activity, and just like you need to be a
resident (or citizen) to vote in government elections you need to be
reasonably active in the Wikimedia community to retain suffrage.

I still think the best option is to register voters as people and not
accounts. Whether by membership or a simple voter roll of users identified
to the Foundation its the best way to limit abuse and ensure that voters are
active and "civic minded" members of the community.

Nathan