[Foundation-l] Wikipedia trainers

Frank Schulenburg frank.schulenburg at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:46:10 UTC 2008

2008/6/18 Ziko van Dijk <zvandijk at googlemail.com>:
> It seems that your trainees are quite computer experienced, Frank,
> because mine had even problems how to search things on Wikipedia.

Yes, indeed. All participants are experienced internet trainers
already volunteering in internet cafés for older people. This is the
most important aspect:  I don't know how many lectures I held in my
time as board member of Wikimedia Deutschland. But that doesn't scale.
As we want to reach out to a broader public we need to train people as
Wikipedia evangelists. People who have some teaching experience
already and who are willing to stage Wikipedia workshops on their own.

> Maybe in future Wikimedia could produce teaching aids or how-to DVD films?

I agree. Video tutorials make learning much easier than printed
material or online help pages. We are about to produce two short
how-to films, 2 to 3 minutes each (see my last report and newsletter).

Frank Schulenburg
Public outreach coordinator

---
Note: This e-mail address is used for mailing lists. Personal emails sent to
this address will probably get lost.