[Foundation-l] New draft of privacy policy

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 08:15:03 UTC 2008

2008/6/16 Andrew Whitworth <wknight8111 at gmail.com>:

> We don't "release" IPs, they are visible by default unless a person
> chooses to create an account.  A person's IP is visible unless a
> person chooses to make it private. Anonymous users don't have an
> expectation of their IPs being kept private unless they've taken steps
> to make it so. Registered users do have that expectation.

Well, unregistered users *who are familiar with the way we do things*
don't have an expectation of their IPs being kept private. There are a
lot of unregistered users who aren't familiar with the way we do
things, and get rather shocked to discover we're publishing their IP -
it's a very common complaint.

(They usually also misunderstand quite what the IP is, but that's another issue)

--
- Andrew Gray
 andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk