[Foundation-l] Stalking Article

Dennis During dcduring at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 18:13:29 UTC 2008

WMF can assist law enforcement not by making complaints, which are
abundant, but by making it easy for law enforcement to investigate and
prosecute. It should be obvious that this risks violating the
community's attitudes and preferences about privacy. Privacy often
conflicts with responsibility. Finding ways of managing the conflict
is a serious challenge. The biggest roles this list can perform are to
call for action, to reflect community opinion, and to lead community
opinion. IMHO.

Unfortunately a change in policy will only occur following a change in
attitudes, which will probably only follow from instances of actual
real-world stalking or recognized cyber-crime.  Perhaps we can delay
the day when some draconian measures will be taken by supporting
modest preventive actions now that are consistent with moderate
(realistic) views of privacy and the trade-offs with responsibility.

--
Dennis C. During