[Foundation-l] Seeking clarification

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 22 18:35:22 UTC 2008

Jason Safoutin wrote:
> No WMF project should, EVER, compete with one another. If we do, we may
> as well take the collaborative scheme, and throw it out of the window too.
>
> This "competition" goes against the WMF's mission.
So who's promoting competition between the projects.  Most of the sister
projects came about because the scope of Wikipedia's operations as an
encyclopedia excluded what these people wanted to do.  Wikipedia is not
a dictionary, so Wiktionary was born.

While the collaborative model is very much preferred, this does not
imply the absolute prohibition of competition that you suggest.  Some
elements of friendly rivalry and competition can be very healthy for the
advancement of the relevant projects when it pushes the participants to
do better.

Ec