[Foundation-l] Update of the Gift Policy

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Jan 22 07:43:52 UTC 2008

Nathan wrote:
> Regarding the issue of Wikimedia being an international organization
> and adjusting policies to reflect this - technically it is a United
> States organization based on Florida, and as such its policies and
> activities must conform with US law. I don't think it is standard
> practice to explain legal terms in policies based on tax and other
> laws. Perhaps it could be proposed that policies which are directed
> specifically to comply with US law have an "International explanation"
> somewhere for ease of understanding by those not familiar with the
> requirements.
That's a clear path to confusion. Nothing is more effective at making a
rule unclear than an attempt to explain it within the rule. Longer rules
provide greater opportunities for loopholes.  It's not a matter of
explanations for the international community.  United States citizens
will fare no better with the impenetrability of their own Internal
Revenue Code.

Some terms just beg for definition.  My first reaction to the proposal
was to get so far as "qualifying support", and flash upon the question,
"What the hell does that mean?"  Thus adding something like "as defined
by Section NNN of the Internal Revenue Code," would be very specific.

Any explanations which are appended should not themselves be a part of
the policy, or even of a resolution.  Then in the event of a
contradiction between the rule and the explanation the rule will always
be right.

Ec