[Foundation-l] Update of the Gift Policy

Michael Snow wikipedia at att.net
Tue Jan 22 02:48:07 UTC 2008

Brad Patrick wrote:
> The idea is that other non-profits (large foundations, for example) should
> be free to support the mission of the organization, but are obligated to the
> same standards under the US code.  Is there a difference between the Gates
> Foundation giving $ versus Bill Gates, individually, or Microsoft, as a
> company?  The government thinks so.  The point of the gift policy is to put
> the consideration of such gifts in the sound discretion of the Board.  Now
> the policy is explicit.

I think Brad has the substance right, but I'd like to address one detail
that may clear up some of the confusion. As has been mentioned, the
tests are covered by IRS regulations, and a good deal of the language
consists of terms of art drawn from those regulations. If you want to
read up on all the details, you're welcome to look at IRS Publication
557. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p557.pdf (PDF)

Some of the discussion has assumed that donations from other charities
are generally exempt, but the policy actually refers to "other publicly
supported charities" (an important qualifier). This means the exception
is not for any donation from another charity, but only from another
charity that meets the same requirements as the Wikimedia Foundation.
Essentially, the IRS treats the public support test as transitive, and
that test is what the resolution is mostly about. I assume the Gates
Foundation does not try to meet the public support test, but operates as
a private foundation (also a non-profit, but of a different type). So
the hypothetical donation from Bill and a grant from his foundation
would actually be treated the same under this policy.

--Michael Snow