[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Foundation's partnership with Kaltuna and l...

Tim Starling tstarling at wikimedia.org
Fri Jan 18 04:06:53 UTC 2008

daniwo59 at aol.com wrote:
> Rather than attack the messenger, let's look at what is really happening
> here. It look like Wikipedia/Wikimedia is being used to promote a start-up.  If
> that is the case, it would be a slippery slope indeed, and certainly not what
> a project devoted to free culture is all about.

Maybe not so slippery. It's been a long time since the Answers.com deal
(i.e. the agreement by the Foundation to promote the Answers.com one-click
tool on Wikipedia), and we haven't seen many similar deals since then.
Maybe the consistent community backlash at each of these announcements is
keeping us away from edge of said slope.

-- Tim Starling