[Foundation-l] Fwd: Wikimedia Foundation's partnership with Kaltuna and l...

daniwo59 at aol.com daniwo59 at aol.com
Fri Jan 18 00:32:18 UTC 2008

Rather than attack the messenger, let's look at what is really happening
here. It look like Wikipedia/Wikimedia is being used to promote a start-up.  If
that is the case, it would be a slippery slope indeed, and certainly not what
a project devoted to free culture is all about.

Perhaps it would have been better to wait until they had released the free
software before releasing this announcement. What more, I am looking at one of
their sample videos now:
_http://www.kaltura.com/devwiki/index.php/Image:Darfur-Genocide.jpg_
(http://www.kaltura.com/devwiki/index.php/Image:Darfur-Genocide.jpg)

I am not sure if this is their free software, but I am pretty sure that
neither the images nor the music are free content. I had always thought of free
culture as a comprehensive package. This simply isn't it.

Danny