[Foundation-l] Meta-arbcom (was: the foundations of...)

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 15:29:19 UTC 2008

> 1. In any language supported by google and altavista there is
> a substantial pool of wikimedians to supply important comments
> on the auto-translation.

They would end up having to re-translate everything. Auto-translations
are appalling and there is far too much risk of misunderstanding.

> 2.  A bilingual discussion not only ''enfranchaises" more wikimedian,
> it also allow you to look at the "sources", since many of the comments
> that would be in English in your proposal would be written in another language
> and have to be translated anyway.

In my proposal, everything is done in English (or, possibly, another
common language - if it turns out more people speak French, say, then
everything can be done in French, but I think English is likely to
have the most people able to take part), there is no translation.
That's why members would need to speak reasonable English. If things
need to be translated it slows everything down enormously.