[Foundation-l] Allemanic and Albanian - conditional approval for Gheg

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 12:50:44 UTC 2008

On 04/01/2008, Gerard Meijssen <gerard.meijssen at gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to propose that the Allemanic Wikipedia is renamed to
> gsw.wikipedia.org and thereby associate the language with the correct
> ISO-639 code.

(I am not making any comment on whether or not to rename)

Regarding duplicate-assigned language codes - how did we get to this?
I was under the impression that all our currently-existing language
codes were either the correct ISO-639, or given deliberately "invalid"
codes so as not to conflict with the standard ones.

Given that that is apparently not the case :-) - do we know how many
other "duplicate" codes are kicking around in our projects, and would
it be worth looking into renaming these sooner rather later? Any
rename is tough, but the earlier it's done the less upheaval there is
for everyone.

On a more practical note - if this rename is done, I note there are
the best part of 3,500 articles on als.wp, and presumably they have a
proportionate audience. How are we planning to handle the changeover?
Making 3,500 valid URLs dead links doesn't seem productive; is there
any way we can put soft redirects into the new als.wp so as to point
to articles in gsw.wp? There probably won't be *too* much conflict for
article names, at least not for the forseeable future.

Or a general sitenotice on the new als.wp, in Allemanic, directing
people to gsw.wp, remaining up for six months or a year? Neither of
these need to be particularly blatant, and won't impact the new
project much, whilst still helping those who follow links to als.wp
looking for Allemanic.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk