[Foundation-l] and what if...

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Fri Dec 12 21:23:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 4:08 PM, teun spaans <teun.spaans at gmail.com> wrote:

> On the other hand: our mission is to spread knowledge in a free form. Under
> a free license. I think it is NOT our task to combat censorship, or to
> advocate free speech.

In fact, restricting the content to only "free content" *is*
self-censorship, in exactly the same way as restricting child pornography
is.  There are both moral and legal reasons not to distribute copyright
violations, just like there are both moral and legal reasons not to
distribute child pornography.

Yes, this requires determining what is and isn't "child pornography", just
like it requires determining what is and isn't "free content".  But very
little discussion of the former has taken place.