[Foundation-l] and what if...

teun spaans teun.spaans at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 21:08:52 UTC 2008

cite:* if a legal decision forbid us to show a certain article or a certain
image, we'll implement a system to block showing the images or text in a
certain country.

I feel doubts with this statement. It sounds like giving in to censorship,
though I think this is noty what you mean.
When i take it literally, if in Saudi Arabia an article on Jesus of Nazareth
is forbidden (as many things about Christianity are forbidden there), would
we assist them? I dont think we should.

On the other hand: our mission is to spread knowledge in a free form. Under
a free license. I think it is NOT our task to combat censorship, or to
advocate free speech. That is a different mission, and we should leave it to
organizations who regard it as their mission. We can and should cooperate
with them, but we should not fight their war, much as we are hindered by
censorship.

I wish you health and happiness,
teun spaans