[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 05:13:01 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 2:25 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
> Serbian isn't a launguage. It's a dialect of the Central South Slavic
> diasystem and one of the projects I had in mind when I brought up
> smaller languages becoming POV forks.

Saying that something is not a language is a strong claim. Talking
about one standard language as a dialect is a non-scientific claim.
Serbian language is one of the standard varieties based on
Eastern-Herzegovian dialect of Shtokavian diasystem. Also, it is not
based on Central South Slavic diasystem, because standard Serbian
language is not based on Torlakian, Chakavian nor Kaykavian.

> You also need to considered the argument beyond wikipedia. The ratio
> of scientific papers published in english compared to any eastern
> European language (except to an extent Russian) is very considerable.
> This is not something wikipedia can do anything about. Even if such
> languages do get more extensive beyond a certain point they will be
> relying on English references.

Yes. This is true.