[Foundation-l] 80% of our projects are failing

geni geniice at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 01:25:10 UTC 2008

2008/12/1 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> So, if you are able to make an internet pidgin-English project, it
> could work for younger. However, en.wp is not working. To be honest, I
> was thinking that the most useful Wikimedian project in Serbia is
> English Wikipedia, but I was wrong. Serbian Wikipedia is the most
> useful project, even it has ~30 times less articles than en.wp.

Serbian isn't a launguage. It's a dialect of the Central South Slavic
diasystem and one of the projects I had in mind when I brought up
smaller languages becoming POV forks.

You also need to considered the argument beyond wikipedia. The ratio
of scientific papers published in english compared to any eastern
European language (except to an extent Russian) is very considerable.
This is not something wikipedia can do anything about. Even if such
languages do get more extensive beyond a certain point they will be
relying on English references.

--
geni