[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK v2.0

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Aug 31 16:36:52 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> I this conversation rather strange, you seem to be talking as if this
> is a new idea. Plenty of other countries have chapters and make good
> use of them, if you want to know what chapters can usefully do you
> would be better of looking at them rather than asking us. We'll do
> pretty much the same things, just in a different country.

Well, my initial questions were directed at everyone, not just at you.  I
only started directing my questions primarily at you because you were the
one who responded to me.

The impression I've gotten is that the chapters are mainly just used for
social networking and meetups.  The German chapter seems to be doing a bit
more, but I don't know if they get significant donations from
non-participants, and, well, most of the information on the chapter is in a
language I don't speak.  This impression might very well be wrong.  Finding
out information about Wikimedia matters is extremely difficult.  I try to
keep up with all the blogs and mailing lists and unofficial and official
websites, but I still don't know more than a small fraction of what's going
on.