[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK v2.0

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 04:11:22 UTC 2008

> What types of activities do you have planned that would require outside
> funding?

Whatever the community can think of. I haven't given it a great deal
of though myself in anything more than general terms. I see the
chapter as existing to facilitate the ideas of the community, there's
no need for those running the chapter to come up with the ideas.

>  How do you intend to get that funding?  And why shouldn't this
> activity be pursued by the WMF, instead of the WMUK?

The same as any other charity: donations from people that support our
cause. Being a UK charity means donations from the UK are tax
deductible. The way the UK does it (other countries may have similar
schemes, I don't know), is that when we receive a donation of, say,
£100 we then submit a form to the taxman and he gives us another £25
(or somewhere around that figure). That's £25 the WMF could never get.