[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK v2.0

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat Aug 30 02:49:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2008/8/29 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:

> for
> >>
> >> Which it certainly will. You can't fundraise specifically for each
> >> individual activity just before it happens.
> >>

> > Depends on the activities, and whether they'll be funded by participants
> or
> > by strangers.
>
> If activities were all funded by the participants, we would be very
> limited in what we could do. There would be little need for a chapter,
> it would serve as nothing more than a source of fancy titles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Takes_Manhattan seems to me
to be a perfect example of what can be done with activities funded by the
participants.  But yeah, there's little need for a chapter to do that kind
of stuff.

What types of activities do you have planned that would require outside
funding?  How do you intend to get that funding?  And why shouldn't this
activity be pursued by the WMF, instead of the WMUK?