[Foundation-l] Wikimedia UK v2.0

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 20:49:46 UTC 2008

2008/8/29 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>:
>>> If activities were all funded by the participants, we would be very
>>> limited in what we could do. There would be little need for a chapter,
>>> it would serve as nothing more than a source of fancy titles.
>>
>> Fancy titles will get you the ability to talk to people we would not
>> otherwise be able to talk to.
>
> Hence why I said "little need", not "no need". They can come in handy,
> but are a pretty minor part of what having a chapter is all about.

Well consider suppose we wanted to get access to a collection to
photograph it. Titles may get you that individuals not so much.

So far the only thing we have managed to organise without a chapter
are meetups. Reason being is that as soon as you start dealing with
third parties you hit the "who are you?" question.

--
geni