[Foundation-l] [Commons-l] PD-art and official "position of the WMF"

Birgitte SB birgitte_sb at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 26 02:52:59 UTC 2008

--- On Mon, 8/25/08, Cary Bass <cary at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> From: Cary Bass <cary at wikimedia.org>
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] [Commons-l] PD-art and official "position of the WMF"
> Date: Monday, August 25, 2008, 5:13 PM
>
> Birgitte SB wrote:
>
> > However if both sides of the debate were not
> compatible with WMF's values and licensing policies, I
> am sure the board would be vocal in pointing out the
> problem.  They spoke up loudly enough when it.WP was using
> "with permission" images.  So I would interpret
> Domas saying "I'd really like to trust the
> community [with preserving WMF values]" (as well as
> silence from the rest of board) to mean "both sides of
> the debate seem to be inbounds of WMF policy and values
> right now".  it.WP certainly wasn't told that their
> community was trusted to do as they saw fit to preserve WMF
> values.  They were pretty much told to change their policy.
> >
> > Birgitte SB
>
> I've noticed that Italian Wikipedia contains a rather
> large number of
> cc-by-nd, cc-by-nc and various different combinations
> thereof images
> like that[1].  I was not aware of any moment when the
> Foundation told
> it.wp it wasn't trusted to preserve WMF values, and
> feel secure that if
> this took place after the EDP policy went into effect then
> I would have
> heard something about it...can you source that?
> - --
> Cary Bass
> Volunteer Coordinator
>
> [1]
> http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categoria:Immagini_creative_commons

I never said it.WP was told it wasn't trusted to preserve WMF values. (a negative statement)

Rather when the issue was brought up here (just like the PD-Art issue) they were NOT told what Commons has been told regarding being trusted to decide the issue internally.  (a positive statement)

It.WP was told to change it's policy (a positive statement)

Just wanted to clear that up even though I don't have time to dig through the archives. Don't know if that actually clarifies.  But not being told what Commons has been told != Being told the negative of what Commons has been told.

Birgitte SB

BTW this did not happen after EDP