[Foundation-l] The Wikimania of my dreams

Milos Rancic millosh at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 05:51:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Delphine Ménard <notafishz at gmail.com> wrote:
> I woudl like to dedicate this thread to the Wikimania of your dreams.
>
> No argument, no debate, just ideas, a giant brainstorming of what the
> Wikimania of your dreams would be. Please throw your stuff in, and try
> to make it only positive things (ie.write  "something that's green"
> rather than "something that's not blue or red".)

Wikimania of my dreams is a global event with tens of thousands, maybe
even hundreds of thousands or millions of participants, localized at
every place which has possibility to join that event.

I think that it is more than possible to make one central event and a
number of events all over the world at the same time. All of the
places would be connected via video links as better as it is possible.

Wikimania should be an open event, not dedicated for Wikimedians, but
a possibility to involve other people in Wikimedian work.

And I think that we may make an experiment during the next Wikimania
(which means that we need to prepare everything months earlier). A
couple of cities may connect with Buenos Aires and between each other.
We may organize places where the events and lectures from the main
events at Wikimania would be shown. Wikimania may host a couple of
lectures from other places, too.

There are a lot of space for different ideas in relation to organizing
Wikimania in such manner. If Wikimedia is global, Wikimania should be,
too.