[Foundation-l] "Wikidrama" and autonomy of Wikimedia projects

Cary Bass cary at wikimedia.org
Mon Aug 11 23:43:38 UTC 2008

Thomas Dalton wrote:
|> Does the user have any other option than editing the smaller wiki and
|> adding the Username Change request, which basically subjects the user to
|> his/her IP information being revealed to additional individuals, not of
|> his/her own wiki?
|
| A trusted user on the smaller project that is also present on enwiki
| could forward the request. I don't really see the problem, though. A
| few checkusers on another project finding out your IP address is
| hardly a serious issue. We can't always cater to people's unreasonable
| paranoia (where possible, sure, but it often isn't). I don't see what
| the foundation has to do with it - they could be the one to forward
| the request, but so could plenty of other people.
|
|> Scenario 2:
|> A user has been banned on enwiki.  The user has "outed" psuedonymous
|> individuals via his blog and threads Wikipedia Review by compiling
|> information put together elsewhere on the net.  He has taken to another
|> wiki and under the auspices of the local wiki's policy, has put back
|> links to pages which have links to pages (sometimes several pages deep)
|> which "outs" the individuals.
|>
|> Is this a violation of our privacy policy as it exists?  If not, how can
|> we best address the needs of the local projects?  We have to assume the
|> user is sincere about his project, because AGF is a core principle.  If
|> he is sincere, can he not contribute in a fashion that doesn't create so
|> much hardship on other contributors?
|
| Was the banned user a checkuser? If so, then I don't see what the WMF
| privacy policy has to do with it - they only had access to public
| information. If they are a checkuser and have published information
| gained through their checkuser privileges, then it's a pretty cut and
| dry case.
|
| As for the other project - it's common for banned users to be given a
| second chance on another project. The other project can be warned by
| anyone familiar with the case if they deem it necessary, there is no
| need for WMF involvement. Whether or not to take action on that other
| project is, of course, up to that project's community.
|
| I really fail to see why this mailing list is being asked about these
| scenarios, they seem pretty simple to me. Cary, some advice: It seems
| the real issue here is that you see a problem and want to help but
| feel restricted by the foundation's policy of non-interference.
| Remember, you are still a member of the community and can offer advice
| in that capacity. Just make it clear that it's not anything official,
| and there shouldn't be a problem.

I do feel the need to clarify, since the user in Scenario 2 called me
out on it.  The hypothetical user is presently "indefinitely blocked" on
on enwiki not banned.

- --
Cary Bass
Volunteer Coordinator

Your continued donations keep Wikipedia running! Support the Wikimedia
Foundation today: http://donate.wikimedia.org
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
Phone: 415.839.6885 x 601
Fax: 415.882.0495