[Foundation-l] Arabic, a non native language

Mark Williamson node.ue at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 21:18:40 UTC 2008

I said I *thought* you had missed the point, and you assured me that
you hadn't. It seemed like you did, based on what I thoughed the point
was. Your reaction just seems awfully arrogant to me, as the only way
to know whether you've truly missed the point is to talk it over with
the person who made the point in the first place, which you didn't do.

Let me explain in more detail: This is just an example, much like the
one that I once made (and many people failed to get) about how many of
our present Wikipedias would not have been started if current
requirements had been in place a long time ago. You are insulting
Crazy Lover's intelligence, of course Crazy Lover knows that there is
already an Arabic Wikipedia.

What Crazy Lover is saying, I believe (and I could be wrong, but I
think my way makes much more sense than your way, as your way seems to
presuppose that Crazy Lover believes we have no Arabic Wikipedia), is
that "Any system of rules which would disallow such a language as
Arabic, if it didn't already have a Wikipedia, is bad."

I agree with that - we may already have an Arabic Wikipedia. It's not
necessary to have rules which would make possible ALL current
Wikipedias to have been created, but some of them would not be OK. If
current rules would have excluded, for example, English, or Chinese
Wikipedias, they would similarly be rejected as unacceptable rules.
Yes, we already have those Wikipedias, but that is immaterial because
we are talking about something more abstract than that.

Mark