[Foundation-l] Note regarding status of privacy policy

SlimVirgin slimvirgin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 22:01:47 UTC 2008

On Sat, Aug 9, 2008 at 1:04 PM, David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/8/9 SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com>:
>
>> We've been told we can't complain to the Ombudsman commission because
>> they only deal with violations of the privacy policy, not the
>> checkuser policy. We've been told we have no right to know whether
>> we've been checked. Attempts to introduce such a rule have led to the
>> checkusers saying they will not follow it. And when we do find out
>> that we've been checked, the only concern of the checkusers is to find
>> out who told us, and to punish that person. It really is a very bad
>> situation for the Foundation, one that's bound to lead to trouble
>> sooner or later.
>

> Sarah neglects to note that there is a body that can answer this, that
> being the Arbitration Committee, and that the matter is currently with
> this body after Sarah brought it up in a lengthy and accusation-filled
> but evidence-poor thread on wiken-l (she refused to file a case even
> while making extensive accusations, so someone else did):

There is a body that is full of other checkusers, who instantly take
the side of their colleague, so there really is no point in
complaining to it. What we need is a truly independent body run by the
Foundation, answering only to the Foundation and not to people's
mates.

The point is that the Foundation has a checkuser policy that is being
ignored. My argument is either enforce it or get rid of it.