[Foundation-l] Volunteer Council - some thoughts after a discussion on Wikimania

Andrew Whitworth wknight8111 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 19:11:04 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> I just noticed that there already is a relatively dormant "Meta" mailing list:

> There might be some value in having "community self-organization"
> discussions explicitly on that list, because foundation-l suggests
> that it's specifically about the Wikimedia Foundation, and that it is
> less inclusive of the chapters and the broader Wikimedia movement. As
> has been expressed here a few times, the Wikimedia Foundation as an
> organizational entity should not have to approve or bless community
> self-organization efforts, and a separate list might help to reinforce
> that concept.

This is actually a good idea, I think, and is really the kind of thing
we've been looking for. We get a mailinglist for the purpose, we can
self-organize without needing the blessing of the foundation, and we
can start doing it immediately. I vote that we move all VC-related
discussion there.

--Andrew Whitworth