[Foundation-l] Copies of Wikipedia's articles found on Knol

geni geniice at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 01:59:06 UTC 2008

2008/8/1 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> Still, what legal problems could possibly be created by copying a
> CC-BY article from Knol to Wikipedia and then not making any changes,
> as long as you maintain the attribution?  Presumably, the whole point
> of importing it would be to improve it, and the "sufficiently
> transformative" bar is incredibly low, but even if you don't create a
> derivative, what's the problem?

Outside of the legal technicalities (IE sticking to thing I think were
intended) the requirement to include a copy of the URL of the license
(or the actual license) is a pain.

Moveing onto the legal technicalities

the "You must keep intact all notices that refer to this License..."
is a problem since the notice that refers to the license is part of
the interface and is probably copyright google and thus non free.

There is also the fairly standard "keep intact all copyright notices"
invariant section bit which is allowed under the GFDL but we generally
prefer to delete content rather than deal with copyright notices.
--
geni