[Foundation-l] WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses to early questions.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun Sep 2 15:45:26 UTC 2007

Martin Weissman wrote:
> There have been a few discussions along the lines of "doesn't this fit into
> WikiBooks or WikiUniversity, or a semantic enhancement thereof".  While I
> have tried to discuss the differences within the project proposal, perhaps a
> few more words should be said about the differences.

I agree with Cormac that this falls wholly within the mandate of
Wikiversity.  This direction would have been more appreciated at an
earlier stage.
> The primary difference is that the WikiCurriculum project has semantic
> information at its heart, and the needs of (U.S.) school districts as its
> motivation.   While WikiBooks might attempt to write textbooks to address
> standards (such as the A-level math textbooks already there), and
> WikiUniversity (and the community college project) might come up with
> curricula, the WikiCurriculum project would specifically contain the
> information necessary to ensure the mathematical and pedagogical soundness
> of textbooks and curricula in general (at least in 9-12 math).

I support the focus on 9-12 math; that clearly emphasizes the importance
of of accomplishing specific goals instead of having a lot of random
material.

I puzzled over the phrase "pedagogical soundness of textbooks".  I see
textbooks as tools to be used by the instructors who would be the ones
responsible for the soundness of the pedagogy.  I would even be inclined
to challenge the traditional concept of textbook in favour of more
modular materials that are more amenable to local needs.
> In this way, the WikiCurriculum project could in fact facilitate the
> creation of courses and textbooks, both by other Wiki projects, as well as
> school districts (from which I have already heard a bit of interest).
>
> The WikiCurriculum project would be designed with state and national
> standards in mind.  I have in mind the NCTM national standards, as well as
> California and Massachusetts state standards.  I am only mentioning U.S.
> standards, simply because these are the standards with which I have
> familiarity.  I am also mentioning the states CA and MA, because I have some
> familiarity with those state standards, and I also have contacts in
> mathematics and math education in those states.  Of course, I believe that
> international standards should be addressed as well, eventually.

International standards can be addressed right from the beginning. Many
of the detailed standards are already on line, or am I inferring too
much from what happens here in British Columbia.  See
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/irp_math.htm for what's available for
mathematics.  Note in particular the "Prescribed learning outcomes" in
each package.

Ec