[Foundation-l] WikiCurriculum -- clarifications and responses

Martin Weissman weissman.marty at gmail.com
Sun Sep 2 00:56:32 UTC 2007

A word about the perceived U.S. focus of the WikiCurriculum project:

I do not have an intention of making the WikiCurriculum project U.S.-centric.
In fact, I would prefer to integrate standards from countries around the
world.  In this way, a user will be able to view a block of content, and see
which national/state standards (from around the world) are correlated.

My personal expertise is with U.S. national, California, and Massachusetts
standards.  I would like others in the community to provide connections to
international standards as well as other U.S. states.  This could be
especially useful for identifying gaps in standards, and narrowing the
achievement gap between countries.  In addition, developing countries could
find templates of standards to follow, and design curricula accordingly.

In this way, I do not think that the WikiCurriculum project, by its nature,
suffers from the problem of being too U.S.-centric for the Wikimedia
mission.  I have recently heard from the International Professors Project,
expressing interest in this project.

As for potential redundancy with WikiUniversity, I believe that more
discussion is warranted, and I hope to hear more!

Thank you very much,

Marty Weissman