[Foundation-l] university blocking wikipedia

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 21:58:08 UTC 2007

On 02/10/2007, dan harp <dharp66 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> just heard an odd thing from a peer @ the high school
> I work at.
>
> "Many major universities have blocked wikipedia"
>
> thought I would throw it out to the community and get
> a bit of direction to research - I find the
> possibility odd.

A lot of universities/lecturers have banned citing Wikipedia in papers
(which is a good thing), perhaps some have blocked it altogether for
the same reasons? "Throwing the baby out with the bath water" comes to
mind.

Of course, unless this peer can give an example of such a major
university, this is just hearsay.